Quick and wet visit

Sunday, September 4, 2005

For the first time, we had visitors stay with us in our small apartment. Tom and Ruth slept on the fold-out couch, which we tried to make comfortable by placing a down comforter on the thin mattress, in our living room. We stayed up late last night (until about 3AM) talking and catching up. When we woke up this morning, we thought it would be best to just get outside and visit as much of the city as we could. They didn't have any plans of what they wanted to see, but wanted to get more of a feel for the city.

We walked past Piazza della Signoria and I noticed that the right hand of the statue of "il Biancone" (Neptune Fountain) was broken off. I looked up on the Internet and found out that two thirty-year old brothers had tried to climb the statue and the hand (along with the staff) was broke in many pieces.

We then went over the Ponte Vecchio and to Piazza Santo Spirito to have lunch at an outdoor osteria (trattoria/restaurant). We sat under a cool mist that was set up on the umbrella to keep us cool. It felt great since it was sunny and quite humid.

After lunch, we walked past Piazza Pitti and went shopping a little bit. We were planning on going to Piazzale Michelangelo; however, it began to rain. I took a picture of a statue of San Giovanni Battista, which I had never noticed before.

We walked to the Duomo and were so fortunate to not have to wait in line to get in. We walked around the vast church and looked around. After we exited, we were going to pay the 6 Euros to walk up the 414 steps to the top of the Campanile di Giotto (Giotti's tower), but decided to get a drink first. So, we headed to the rooftop of La Rinascente to have a drink.

Afterwards, we didn't go back to the Duomo. We were exhausted from not sleeping enough and walking all morning. We went back home with the intention of taking a nap, but instead we talked some more, and had some wine and cheese.

We decided that we needed to get back outside to check out the city some more even though I was practically falling asleep sitting down. We went to a pub near our house and then stood above the Arno river to talk and keep cool.

Tomorrow our friends drive up to Nice. The short visit was fun even though it was tiring. Hopefully they'll come back again so we can see much more of the city.

If you have any comments, please share them on the Living in Florence's FaceBook page. Grazie!

September 2005


December 2014

November 2014

October 2014

September 2014

August 2014

July 2014

June 2014

May 2014

April 2014

March 2014

February 2014

January 2014

December 2013

November 2013

October 2013

September 2013

August 2013

July 2013

June 2013

May 2013

April 2013

March 2013

February 2013

January 2013

December 2012

November 2012

October 2012

September 2012

August 2012

July 2012

June 2012

May 2012

April 2012

March 2012

February 2012

January 2012

December 2011

November 2011

October 2011

September 2011

August 2011

July 2011

June 2011

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

February 2011

January 2011

December 2010

November 2010

October 2010

September 2010

August 2010

July 2010

June 2010

May 2010

April 2010

March 2010

February 2010

January 2010

December 2009

November 2009

October 2009

September 2009

August 2009

July 2009

June 2009

May 2009

April 2009

March 2009

February 2009

January 2009

December 2008

November 2008

October 2008

September 2008

August 2008

July 2008

June 2008

May 2008

April 2008

March 2008

February 2008

January 2008

December 2007

November 2007

October 2007

September 2007

August 2007

July 2007

June 2007

May 2007

April 2007

March 2007

February 2007

January 2007

December 2006

November 2006

October 2006

September 2006

August 2006

July 2006

June 2006

May 2006

April 2006

March 2006

February 2006

January 2006

December 2005

November 2005

October 2005

September 2005

August 2005

July 2005

June 2005

May 2005

April 2005

March 2005

February 2005

January 2005

December 2004

November 2004

Travel Blogs