I received a response from the Italian consulate today and they explained that even if I file in Italy, the documents that I was hoping to get will have to be requested by the comune. They said that they don't give precedence to any other requests. So that means that if I file here in Florence, I'll be put at the bottom of the pile.
So after weeks of wondering how to get my Italian citizenship quicker. This email helped me decide. I have now decided to just wait it out. At least now, I don't have anything else to do for the Italian government, the Italian consulate in the US will do it for me.
I was previously told that between June and December 2006 I should be receiving my Italian citizenship from the US, so for now I'm still hopeful...and my fingers and toes are crossed.
Share your comments for this blog post on the Living in Florence's Facebook page. Grazie!